Did you know you can receive your Medical Marijuana Authorization Card at Canna4Life? Make an appointment with one of our Certified Medical Marijuana Consultants to learn more about all your Medical Marijuana options at Canna4Life. Ask a budtender for more info at your next visit.
How do I become a medical marijuana patient?
To be a medical marijuana patient in the state of Washington, you must get a Medical Marijuana Authorization from a healthcare practitioner allowed to authorize marijuana for medical purposes. Learn more how you can talk to your doctor about medical cannabis.
What is a valid written authorization?
A valid authorization is completely filled out by the patient’s authorizing healthcare practitioner (doctor) and must:
- Be on the Department of Health form number DOH 630-123. Any other form of recommendation, prescription or authorization is invalid;
- Be printed on tamper-resistant paper (see below);
- Include an original signature by the healthcare practitioner, along with the authorization date and expiration date no more than 1 year from date of authorization; or six months for patients under the age of 18.
Am I automatically entered into the database now that I have a medical cannabis authorization from my doctor?
No. To get entered into the medical marijuana authorization database, you must take your authorization form to any licensed and medically endorsed retail marijuana store. A certified consultant will enter your information into the database and create your medical marijuana recognition card. ONLY a certified Medical Marijuana Consultant may enter a patient into the database.
How do I join the database?
- Take your authorization form to any licensed and medically endorsed retail marijuana store like Canna4Life.
- Ask to see the certified medical marijuana consultant on staff who is trained in working with authorized medical marijuana patients.
- Give the consultant your authorization form so that he or she can enter your information into the database, take your picture, and create a new medical marijuana recognition card.
- Pay a $1 fee required from cardholders when their card is created. The medically endorsed store collects the fee and pays it to the Department of Health.
What are the benefits of joining the database?
- Purchase products at the medically endorsed retail stores sales and use tax free.
- Purchase up to three times the current limits at licensed retail stores with a medical marijuana endorsement.
- Purchase high-THC products–when available.
- Possess six plants and eight ounces of usable marijuana. A healthcare practitioner may authorize additional plants to a maximum of 15; a patient so authorized may possess up to 16 ounces of usable marijuana produced from their plants.
- Participate in a medical marijuana cooperative
- Have arrest protection
Can I have a medical card made if I am under 21 years old?
Unfortunately, while the state recognizes patients 18 years old and over, we are still mostly a recreational store and are only accepting patients 21+ right now, so as not to conflict with WSLCB regulations. Please bring a Doctor provided prescription (Medical Marijuana Authorization) to the initial consult.
Where can I learn more about cannabis laws in Washington?
The Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board has detailed information about marijuana rules here: https://lcb.wa.gov/marj/marj2018